Why Planning ?
To ensure a smooth move, start the moving procedure early and prepare a 6 week plan to moving day with the help of AFRA’s Planning Guide.Download
- Use your AFRA Removal Checklist to keep a file of all the details of your move
- Prepare a Household Inventory of everything that is going to be moved.
- Before you call a removal company, decide what you are taking and what you are leaving.
- Dispose of the items you don’t want or need any more – why pay to move something you are only going to throw out?
- If you are planning on purchasing new furniture for your new home, make sure it will fit through the doorways or up stairways in your new house before purchase.
- Ask yourself if you have items that will not fit into your new home, will you need storage?
- Are there any alterations planned for your new house prior to moving in? If yes, finalise before moving day.
- Prepare a floor plan of your new house to help plan where you need things placed and ensure everything will fit.
- Try to arrange your move during the least busy period of the month and season. A high percentage of removals occur during the last week of the month, during summer and in holidays, so book your removalist early.
If you find that your new home can’t accommodate all your furniture, ask your chosen AFRA removalist about storage options. AFRA members have more than 100 years’ experience in furniture storage, self storage and have the equipment, expertise and facilities required for the specific care of your goods while in storage, either short or long-term.
Be sure to ask:
- How your goods will be stored?
- Are you able to make an inspection of the storage location before signing any contracts?
- What insurance is available while your goods are in storage?
- What systems are in place to cover adequate maintenance of your goods while in storage?
- Is there a danger of pest destruction of your goods while in storage?
- Can they help you with self storage tips?
To find a removalist with storage solutions, click here.